LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The school year is expected to start soon for many Los Angeles Unified School District students, which means that time is running out to receive the mandated T-dap booster shot.
Starting today, LAUSD officials will offer pertussis (whooping cough) booster shot clinics around Los Angeles to help students entering seventh grade meet the vaccine requirement before starting school on Aug. 12.
Whooping cough is a very contagious disease that can affect all ages caused by airborne bacteria spread through coughing and sneezing, said public health officials.
According to the Los Angeles Unified School District, shots are only eligible to children who receive Medi-Cal, do not have insurance and are of Native American descent.
To obtain a free booster shot, students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and bring their current shot record with a completed immunization consent form to the clinics, LAUSD officials said.
Under California law, the booster shot has been mandated for all students due to an epidemic of this disease among teenagers.
Any student who does not show proof of receiving the whooping cough vaccination is to be “excluded” from classes, LAUSD officials said.
The following clinics listed below will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and closed from noon to 1 p.m. each day:
- Zelzah Clinic– (North Area Nursing Office) 6505 Zelzah Ave., Reseda: July 28-31, Aug. 1 and Aug. 4-8
- Telfair PTA Clinic– 10911 Telfair Ave., Pacoima: July 28-31, Aug. 1 and Aug. 4-8
- Roosevelt High School– 456 S. Matthews St., Los Angeles: July 28-31, Aug. 1 and Aug. 4-8
- Edison Middle School– 6500 Hooper Ave., Los Angeles: July 28-31, Aug. 1 and Aug. 4-8
The following clinics listed below will be open from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and closed from noon to 1 p.m. each day:
- Columbus Clinic– 22250 Elkwood St., Canoga Park: July 28-31, Aug. 1 and Aug. 4-8
- Murchinson Clinic– 1501 Murchinson St., Los Angeles: Aug. 4-8
- Central PTA Clinic– 1000 Venice Blvd., Los Angeles: July 29, July 31, Aug. 5 and Aug. 7
- Holmes Clinic– 5108 Holmes Ave., Los Angeles: Aug. 4-8
- San Miguel Health Clinic– 9801 San Miguel Ave., South Gate: July 30, Aug. 1, Aug. 4, Aug. 6 and Aug. 8
- Plasencia Elementary School– (Student Guidance Assessment Center) 1321 Cortez St., Los Angeles: Aug. 4-8
For referrals to no-cost or low-cost immunization clinics with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, dial 211.
For questions regarding LAUSD vaccine requirements, click here.