STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Mastro’s Malibu Chef Oscar Ledesma stopped by KCAL9 Tuesday to show viewers how to make the perfect steak just in time for the 4th of July.
Here are some of his tips for picking the right piece of meat:
- The first rule of thumb for the perfect steak is the cut and quality of the meat, of course. Don’t skimp on size — you’ll want it at least 1 ½-2 inches thick so it doesn’t dry out. You want to make sure you get some great marbling throughout as that is key to flavor. For recipes, click here.
- Before you put your steak on the grill, you want to make sure it’s at room temperature, so take it out of the fridge about 30 minutes in advance.
- And you definitely want to season your meat before grilling.
How to grill it:
- First, get your grill really hot. A Lynx Professional Grill has a pro-sear feature, which means it gets hot fast. The reason you want it hot is so that you get a great sear on the meat.
- Also, you want to turn the steak just once – avoid the flip flap! And please use tongs, not a fork, to avoid piercing it and losing precious juices.
- Add a TBSP of melted butter and sprinkle some chopped parsley at the end to finish it.
There are six Mastro’s locations in Southern California: Beverly Hills, Costa Mesa, Malibu, Newport Beach, Palm Desert and Thousand Oaks.