Local

$50K Reward Offered In Abduction Of Boyle Heights Toddler

View Comments
Top Features
textalerts180 $50K Reward Offered In Abduction Of Boyle Heights Toddler

LOS ANGELES (CBLSA.com) — A $50,000 reward was announced Tuesday by the LAPD in connection with the abduction of a 2-year-old Boyle Heights boy.

The reward for Edwin Vargas, sponsored by Councilmember Jose Huizar, was formally announced at 9 a.m.

Vargas was abducted on May 23 by his father, Abraham Vargas, from the 1000 block of Lorena Street, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

Vargas’ mother, Beatriz Perez, was in the process of putting her son in her minivan when the boy’s biological father and Perez’s ex-boyfriend pushed her inside her apartment and stole the van with Edwin inside, according to authorities.

The minivan, an orange Nissan Quest, was located later that day in East Los Angeles, but Vargas and the child were nowhere to be found.

The suspect is described as a 27-year-old Hispanic man, 5 feet 5 inches tall, weighing about 180 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a red shirt and jeans.

Police believe he was headed to Mexico with the child; however, there was sighting of Vargas — with a shaved head and goatee — earlier this month in Boyle Heights.

He is known to frequent the Roosevelt High School area, the Pomona (60) Freeway underpass off Lorena Avenue as well as King Taco at 3rd Street and Ford Boulevard in East LA, police said.

Perez, who had full custody of the toddler, had a restraining order against Vargas for domestic violence.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Abraham Vargas or his son, Edwin, should contact LAPD’s Hollenbeck Division at (323)342-8900.

RELATED: Amber Alert Issued For Boy Allegedly Abducted By Father From Boyle Heights Home

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,529 other followers