Report: Donald Sterling Has Yet To Sign Off Sale Of Clippers
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) – According to the LA Times, Donald Sterling has yet to sign off the sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to Ex-CEO of Microsoft Steve Ballmer because he hopes the NBA will withdraw the $2.5 million dollar fine and the ban from league activities.
“In terms of saying something in a draft press release that indicated they would be dismissing the lifetime ban and the fine, that is not true at all,” said the person, who spoke anonymously to the LA Times. “That doesn’t mean that [Sterling] wouldn’t have read something like that into it.But if they interpreted it that way that is wrong and there is no thought of lifting the lifetime ban or the fine being rescinded.”
This is despite Sterling’s lawyer releasing a statement earlier in the week saying all disputes have been resolved.
On Wednesday, Sterling, who gave his wife Shelly Sterling the right to negotiate the sale of the team, said he “has made an agreement with the NBA to resolve all their differences,” according to his lawyer.
Shelly Sterling believed she was clear to make the deal without her husband’s approval because he had been found medically incapacitated, meaning the sale is on hold.
Shelly all along has said she would like to avoid going to court, but it could be the only option moving forward.