STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — June is Skin Cancer Awareness Month.
Katie McCarthy, Managing Editor at TotalBeauty.com, visited the KCAL9 studios Friday to show viewers different products under $55 that will help protect you from the most common forms of cancer.
• Your face is the body part most exposed to the sun, so it’s important to protect it which means your two best friends this summer should be sunglasses and facial SPF!
• The American Cancer Society recommends a pair of sunnies offering Broad Spectrum sun protection.
• A label or sticker on the sunglasses should say “Lenses block 99% or 100% of UVB and UVA rays,” and choose the right hue!
• Gray, green and brown lenses minimize color distortion so they are the safest choice to wear when driving.
• This is really helpful because it’s nice to know that if you didn’t put sunscreen on first, there is SPF in certain makeups that can keep you safe when walking out of the house.
• Amarte, the Natural Finish BB Cream: beauty balm that serves as a foundation, concealer, moisturizer and sunscreen all in one. Designed with SPF 36, this beauty balm provides uniform coverage without caking or flaking.
• $55, AmarteSkinCare.com
• jane iredale LipDrink :a lip balm that can be worn under your lip-gloss or on its own and it offers Broad Spectrum sun protection (again, broad spectrum means it blocks UVA and UVB rays) with an SPF of 15.
• This one is actually recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective daily sunscreen and is great because carrot seed oil smoothes, softens and soothes the lips, while avocado oil protects and moisturizes them.
• $12, Nordstrom or http://www.shop.janeiredale.com
• jane iredale also has a dry sunscreen called Powder-Me SPF® and I love this because it can be used on the body, face and scalp for Broad Spectrum protection with an SPF of 30. It’s available in tanned, translucent and golden so there’s something for several skin tones.
• $45, Nordstrom or http://www.shop.janeiredale.com
• Now for sunscreen – even on cloudy days – any time you step outside, 30 minutes before you leave the house you should apply sunscreen to give it enough time to penetrate into the skin.
• If you don’t want SPF to interfere with your skin care routine, pick a sunscreen that doubles as a moisturizer.
• Amarte Ultra Veil offers Broad Spectrum 50+ protection and as an added bonus, it is chock full of antioxidants to ward off those wrinkle-causing free radicals so it actually perfects while it protects.
• $45, AmarteSkinCare.com
• Uni K Sun-Pro for Face: This one has an SPF of 30 and contains anti-inflammatory ingredients like ginger root extract and lemon peel extract to serve as natural antiseptics and astringents. It’s also chockfull of powerful antioxidants like green tea extract and grapeseed extract to neutralize free radicals.
• The same rule applies as the face – apply sunscreen 30 minutes before leaving the house, not when you arrive to the beach or pool and reapply every two hours, especially when the sun is at its strongest.
• There’s something called the “Shadow Test” which will help you determine how strong the sun is.
• If your shadow is smaller than your body, the sun is super strong and you need to be very diligent about reapplying sunscreen – especially if you’re swimming or sweating.
• G.M. Collin’s High Sun Protection Cream has an SPF of 30 and is a 100% natural mineral sunscreen with a really light and quick absorbing texture.
• $39, Amy Skin Care Oasis or GMCollin.com
• And if you fall asleep and forget to reapply, they also have an After-Sun Cream enriched with shea butter and primrose oil to revitalize and soothe sun burned skin. This also doubles as a moisturizer and will leave your skin soft, healthy and hydrated.
• $32, Amy Skin Care Oasis or GMCollin.com
• DECLÉOR Aroma Sun High Repair After Sun Face Balm: An all-natural and nourishing balm that rescues parched skin after excess sun exposure. It reduces burns and alleviates redness to keep the skin glowing, without the harmful effects.
• $42, DecleorUSA.com