BOYLE HEIGHTS (CBSLA.com) — Authorities Friday were searching for a man accused of abducting his 2-year-old son.
Edwin Vargas was taken from his mother, Beatriz Perez, around 6:30 a.m. at their home in the 1000 block of Lorena Street in Boyle Heights, the Los Angeles Police Department said.
Perez was in the process of putting Edwin in his car seat in her minivan when the boy’s biological father and Perez’s ex-boyfriend, Abraham Vargas, pushed her inside her apartment complex and stole the van with Edwin inside, according to authorities.
“I ran after him. My sister ran after him. I said, ‘Abraham, please stop. Please. Where are you going?’” Perez said through a translator.
“He [went] in the car and he [left]. That’s it. [I was] real scared. We came out running and tried to catch him, but he went away,” the boy’s aunt, Paola Perez, said.
Vargas is described as a 26-year-old Hispanic man, about 180 pounds, and was last seen wearing a red shirt and jeans. Police believe he is headed to Mexico with the child.
The minivan, an orange Nissan Quest, was located around 11:30 a.m. in East Los Angeles, but Vargas and the child were nowhere to be found.
“We got some information, some resources that led us to this location, and with the help of our air support, we were able to locate the vehicle,” LAPD Capt. Gary Lopez said. “We’ve canvassed the area and so far we haven’t received any information from any of the neighbors that might have seen the occupants leave.”
Perez has a restraining order against Vargas for domestic violence.
“He was angry with me. I had a restraining order against him. He wanted to get back together, but I said no. He made threats that he would do something like this. He’s not a violent person. He just doesn’t think. He does. He acts out,” she said.
Perez added, “I don’t ask for anything. No money, nothing. Just please bring him back.”
Anyone with information should contact 911.