Local

Dodgers Release Catcher Olivo After Dugout Fight Costs Pricey Prospect Part Of Ear

View Comments
Catcher Miguel Olivo #30 of the Los Angeles Dodgers makes an out on Stephen Strasburg #37 of the Washington Nationals (not pictured) in the sixth inning at Nationals Park on May 7, 2014 in Washington, DC. The Washington Nationals won, 3-2. (credit: Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

Catcher Miguel Olivo #30 of the Los Angeles Dodgers makes an out on Stephen Strasburg #37 of the Washington Nationals (not pictured) in the sixth inning at Nationals Park on May 7, 2014 in Washington, DC. The Washington Nationals won, 3-2. (credit: Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

Los Angeles Dodgers
Upcoming Games

Buy Dodgers Tickets Full Schedule
Monday Apr 6
vs. Padres
Tuesday Apr 7
vs. Padres
Wednesday Apr 8
vs. Padres
Dodgers Central
Shop for Dodgers Gear
Buy Dodgers Tickets

MLB Scoreboard
MLB Standings
Team STATS
Team Schedule
Team Roster
Team Injuries

Sports Fan Insider

Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.
Sign Up

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles Dodgers announced Thursday that they released recently demoted catcher Miguel Olivo from their roster, following an incident in which he bit off part of teammate and Dodgers prospect Alexander Guerrero’s ear in a fight.

The release comes hours after Olivo, who was sent down to the club’s Triple-A team, the Albuquerque Isotopes, following the activation of starting catcher A.J. Ellis from the disabled list, was suspended on Wednesday. He was expected to remain suspended until an investigation into the dugout altercation, which occurred on Tuesday’s minor league game against Salt Lake, could be completed.

The investigation did not take long.

Olivo was involved in the scuffle with Guerrero during the top of the game’s eighth inning. Olivo, a 13-year Major League veteran, is seen lunging at Guerrro on the mound during a pitching change on a video shown on the website True Blue LA.

The altercation then continued while both players were in the visiting dugout, at which point Olivo is said to have bitten off part of Guerrero’s ear.

The Dodgers selected the contract of Miguel Olivo from Triple-A Albuquerque on April 30, and optioned struggling catcher Tim Federowicz. The team transfered pitcher Chad Billingsley to the 60-day disabled list on the same day in order to make room for Olivo on the 40-man roster.

Olivo batted .217 with12 strikeouts in 23 at-bats with the Dodgers this season before being demoted to Triple-A.

Earlier in his career, Olivo took a swing at Jose Reyes in a fight between the Miami Marlins and the New York Mets in the 2007 season.

The Dodgers signed Guerrero as a free agent on Oct. 22, 2013, after the 27-year old escaped from Cuba.

Foreseeing a strong tool in Guerrero, the Dodgers signed the Las Tunas native to a 4-year, $28 million deal.

Guerrero is said to be recovering from reconstructive surgery.

The move has left the club with 39 players on their 40-man roster.

Steve Luhm, who was covering the game for the Salt Lake Tribune, took to Twitter to broadcast the incident.

 

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,687 other followers