Jury Convicts 2 Men Accused Of Starting Colby Fire
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A federal jury Friday returned guilty verdicts on all counts against two men for starting the Colby Fire earlier this year.
KNX 1070′s Megan Goldsby reports Clifford Henry Jr. and Steven Aguirre were convicted of one felony and three misdemeanor counts of lighting and failing to control an illegal campfire that caused the 1,900-acre wildfire on Jan. 16.
The three men were arrested shortly after the fire erupted on Jan. 16 amid a red flag warning due to strong winds, high temperatures and bone-dry conditions.
Aguirre, 21, said the fire started when the wind blew a piece of burning paper from the men’s campfire into a bush, according to the affidavit.
The three men were not in a camping area, though people are known to camp without permits in the foothills, Glendora police Chief Tim Staab said. There was no evidence to indicate the three men were living in the hills.
Officials said Henry Jr., 22, is a Glendora resident, while Aguirre and 23-year-old Jarrell are transients.
Sentencing is set for Aug. 4.
A third defendant, Jonathan Jarrell, is scheduled to face trial May 20.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)