STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Are you a bride-to-be?
Trend expert Justine Santaniello, who is recently engaged herself, visited the KCAL9 studios Tuesday to discuss her insider beauty secrets for all all the girls planning to walk down the isle this spring and summer.
How to create the perfect bridal blueprint:
• Your smile is going to be your most important accessory for your wedding so you want to make sure you start in advance to get the smile you want.
• Starting with your lips! Take care of your lips each night by applying a generous coat of Vaseline. Rub it over your lips in a circular motion with a wet washcloth to exfoliate and soften your lips at the same time.
• Many women end up looking for a quick fix the week or so before the wedding but these things take time! So start using whitening toothpaste now in conjunction with whitening strips and of course if you want to splurge you can get your teeth professionally whitened.
• Just make sure not to go too overboard on whitening because it can become almost too prominent in photos.
• I recommend getting a professional whitening about 6 months before so your teeth aren’t too artificially white the day of.
• A smile goes beyond just white teeth. So if you want to change something about your smile check out Invisalign
• Once I got engaged I started a new skincare regimen pretty much right away. The reason I recommend starting early is because it gives you time to really start to see results.
• You want to choose a regimen based on your skin type and if you have any special skin conditions then its best to see a dermatologist first but for the women out there with normal to combination skin, here is what I’m doing that has really shown results.
• You want to make sure your plan is set up for both day and night. Some items you may not have already that you want to introduce are a toner and a serum.
• In the morning I use toner, serum, and then I layer my moisturizer over the serum. Using just a facial moisturizer alone is not going to penetrate into the skin the way you need it to.
• Facial moisturizers mostly sit on top of the skin and protect us from things like wind, smog, pollution which is of course important but your serum will penetrate into the skin for that deep moisturization.
• Also make sure you are applying an eye cream as well. For night, after you wash your face which we know is so important to do at night especially, you are doing the same routine except I like to use a midnight recovery serum that’s a bit more intense.
• Night is when the skin naturally regenerates itself so this is the perfect opportunity to use a recovery serum. Of course you also want to be exfoliating about twice a week to remove dead skin cells and allow your lotions and serums to do their job.
• There are a few things you can be doing to get your body in tip top shape like setting up the right diet and exercise plan.
• In addition to tightening and firming your body, it also helps to detox your skin, give you energy which you need for planning this wedding, and it releases endorphins to keep your stress low and keep you happy.
• I recommend adding weights to your workout routine. Some simple dumbbells are not going to bulk you up but they will make all the difference between toned arms and that little bit of arm fat that we certainly don’t want in our wedding dress.
• Now especially if you plan on wearing a strapless or backless dress in addition to these arm workouts, you can also use a toning & firming formula like this Soap & Glory The Firminator. This is a gel for your arms that tones, exfoliates and even blurs away back-of-the-arm bumps.
• I also recommend since you are taking the time to get your body in shape that you make sure to exfoliate your body about twice a week and keep it moisturized. You certainly don’t want dry skin on your wedding so to keep it easy I like to use this Vaseline Spary and Go moisturizer.
• Focus on green vegetables, fruit and lots of water – which are all great for food cravings and your skin. Also watch out for carbs, fried foods, and too much booze — alcohol makes your skin puffy and dry.
• When it comes to your hair, work with your hairstylist for the day of to map out your hair care plan. I know most of us want shiny, healthy looking hair so you want to start weekly treatments at home.
• An easy one to try is mixing your favorite conditioner and mashed-up avocado. The creaminess of the avocado will increase your hair’s silkiness.
• Start doing these treatments months before your wedding to really get the full effect. Also look for shampoos and conditioners infused with olive oil. The oil helps tone down frizz and boost shine.
• Of course if you want to splurge you can always go to your salon and have your stylist give you a customized conditioning treatment for your hair type.
• For your brow/eye area: If you don’t have those long lashes you always wanted, consider trying false ones.
• If you don’t want to look overdone you can apply half lashes in the outer corners of your eyes.
• Longer lashes will enhance the shape of your eyes and focus all attention on you.
• If you want something that lasts longer you can always try RapidLash which you can pick up at CVS.
• I also say that you must have your brows shaped as they can mold your whole face! Your salon will offer suggestions for the best brow shape according to your face like waxing or threading. You want to start shaping appointments about six months out, waiting three to four weeks between sessions.
• Schedule your last shaping a month before the wedding in case you need to grow out any areas.