Police: Boy, 7, Accidentally Starts Signal Hill Apartment Fire
SIGNAL HILL (CBSLA.com) — Authorities said several units were damaged Saturday afternoon following a structure fire in the city of Signal Hill.
Signal Hill police said in a press release that officers were dispatched about 3:14 p.m. to a 25-unit apartment complex on California Avenue following a report of a fire.
When officers arrived on scene, they spotted smoke coming from an apartment on the second floor of the three-story structure.
“It was later discovered the fire was started in the second story by a 7-year-old who was playing with a cigarette lighter and accidentally set the mattress on fire,” police said.
The residents of the unit, where the fire had started, were taken to an area hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. They were described as a woman and her two children.
Authorities said temporary housing was arranged for the trio as the unit was found to be uninhabitable.
Two other apartment units also suffered water damage, police said.
Signal Hill is located in the greater Los Angeles area and is near Long Beach.