#CBSLAHelps: CBSLA teamed up with the American Red Cross to raise money for victims of the Southern California firestorms. Click Here to donate! You can also text CBSLAHELPS to 75759 to learn more. Celebrity Guests | Full Recap
#CHiPsForKids: We're in Orange County Starting at 11am! Join us at Kawasaki Motors in Foothill Ranch. More Info

COMPTON (CBSLA.com) — A Compton family was sickened Sunday morning by carbon monoxide fumes.

Officials said six people — two women, four children — were overcome by the fumes and taken to a hospital.

The house is located on Tamarind Avenue.

Firefighters said the victims were all experiencing headaches, nausea and vomiting.  All six people were treated at the hospital and released.

Officials said the family had a close call. They also remind that carbon monoxide is a silent killer that strikes without warning.

“It’s colorless, it’s odorless and it’s tasteless,” said Compton Fire Department Battalion Chief Ken Benson, “so if you don’t know it’s there, it will come and get you while you’re sleeping and you may or may not wake up.”

Fire officials told CBS2/KCAL9 that carbon monoxide poisoning can happen after families turn on a furnace that has been dormant for a while.

Comments (2)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

facebook.com/CBSLA
Plan Your Trip

Watch & Listen LIVE