Affordable Storage Solutions To Staying Organized Throughout The Year
Links & NumbersInformation & Resources On Dangers Of Marijuana Use Covered California Enrollment Methods Hire LA Youth Hospital Ratings Stradivarius Fest Tell Us Who's Hiring!
STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Dave Hauer, a Home Depot Associate, stopped by KCAL9 to show viewers affordable storage solutions to help stay organized throughout the year.
- In-home organization is a simple and cost-effective way to save time and provide much needed peace of mind. Clutter can be everywhere in your home from the bedroom, to the playroom and especially in the garage.
- Taking time to create an organizational system that will be functional and beautiful can be fun and stress-relieving at the same time.
- Depending on the room or rooms you want to tackle will determine what shelving systems and products you will need.
Shelves and Shoe Storage:
- One of the first decisions you’ll need to make is what type of shelves you’d like to install.
- Wood and other solid shelves provide sturdy, flat surfaces that are ideal for storing small or oddly shaped items.
- Ventilated wire shelves allow air to pass through so clothes and linens can breathe.
- Use expandable shelves to customize the amount of storage space your closet provides.
- Shoes can be stored on shelves or in shoe bags hung on the backside of your closet door.
- Shoe racks provide ample storage space as well. Look for a slanted platform that displays them all at the same level for easy selection and access.
Bags, Boxes, Bins and Baskets:
- You can use boxes to store everything from clothes and towels to books and dishes.
- In addition to storage, collapsible bins provide the ability to compress to a much smaller size when not needed, making them easy to store in tight quarters. Hampers store dirty clothes, while laundry bags provide another, more portable option for soiled garments.
- Baskets range from small to oversized and are available in simple designs as well as more ornate and stylish models, depending on your needs and existing decor.
- Use them to hold important papers or assorted odds and ends in your office closet or soaps and lotions in the bathroom.
- Garage storage cabinets come in a range of different sizes and configurations.
- They come in both freestanding models and units that are designed to be hung on your garage wall.
- Cabinets can be used to store everything from tools and fasteners to cleaning supplies and hobby materials.
- They’re available with a number of useful features, including zero-tolerance doors that allow you to fit them into tighter spaces, hanger hooks for extra storage options and removable or adjustable garage shelving for maximum versatility.
- Workbenches sometimes incorporate cabinets into their design while also providing a work surface for a variety of home improvement projects and repairs.
- Workbenches with pegboard sides or a back wall with hooks provide plenty of space to keep all of the tools within your reach.
Garage Storage and Organization Tips:
- Before you can begin to organize your garage, it’s a good idea to get rid of the stuff you don’t need.
- It’s amazing how quickly unwanted objects can pile up. Simply tossing out those old, broken toys and other unused objects can really free up a lot of space.
- If you have an abundance of items that are in good shape but that you don’t need anymore, consider donating them to charity or having a garage sale.
- Once you’ve gotten rid of the clutter, work to organize your garage in a logical manner, keeping dangerous items locked up and tools and other objects used on a regular basis in an easily accessible location.
Tools for installing shelving systems and garage storage:
- In order to install shelving systems and garage storage you have to have the right tools.
- The Ryobi Lithium Ion drill kit is a great tool to have in your toolbox to get the job done.
- A great set of screwdrivers, like the 23-piece screwdriver set from Husky is great to have around when assembling shelving and adjusting the height of shelves.