LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — One of the best things about the holidays is getting together with family and friends and enjoying a delicious meal. Chef Ronnie Woo stopped by KCAL9 Wednesday to show Leyna Nguyen how to whip up his buttermilk cheddar biscuit sliders that are sure to get everyone’s mouths watering. To make the savory snack, follow the recipe below:
Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuit Sliders with Ham, Fried Egg, and Sharp Cheddar
By Chef Ronnie Woo
Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits:
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 cup of butter, diced, very cold
1 cup of buttermilk
Ham, thick slices
Sharp cheddar slices
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour with cheddar cheese, baking powder, black pepper, salt, baking soda, and sugar. Add cold butter and, using clean hands, gently squeeze the flour mixture into the butter until it resembles course meal.
2. Gently stir the buttermilk into the mixture until the dough comes together, being careful not to over-handle. You want small butter pieces in the dough so that the biscuits will bake up flakey.
3. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about an hour.
4. When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
5. With a floured rolling pin, roll dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and then refold in quarters (this will cause the dough have those beautiful layers).
6. Re-flour and roll the folded dough out again until ¼ inch thick. Take a biscuit cutter and cut out as many biscuits as possible and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Save the scraps for a second batch.
7. Bake biscuits for about 15-20 minutes, until the top of the biscuits are lightly browned.
8. While the biscuits are baking, prepare the ham and eggs. In a non-stick pan, heat up a teaspoon of canola oil and quickly panfry the ham pieces until slightly browned on both sides. Transfer to a paper-lined plate and fry the eggs one or two at a time until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny.
9. Cut the biscuits in half and layer with a slice of cheddar cheese, ham, and a fried egg. Return to oven for 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy!