Emergency Alert Message Accidentally Sent To Southland Smartphone Users
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — An emergency alert was accidentally sent out to smartphone users in the Los Angeles area Wednesday afternoon.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department confirms to CBS2/KCAL9 that the message was sent out from the city of Monterey Park, which has its own emergency operations center.
The alert, which was sent at 2:13 p.m., read, “TEST From Monterey Park EOC. THIS IS ONLY A TEST.”
The Monterey Park Police Department says the test was erroneously sent by the Monterey Park Fire Department.
In a statement, the fire department, said, in part, “In an effort to test the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) today from the City of Monterey Park’s Emergency Operations Center, a test alert was initiated which reached further than anticipated. Though a single test was conducted, reports have been received of multiple alerts being broadcasted. Fire department staff is working with local, state, and federal agencies to determine the cause of this event, and wishes to apologize for any inconvenience or undue concerns which were caused by this action.”
Most iPhones are now able to receive FCC-mandated wireless alert messages, which have so far been used to inform California residents about Amber Alerts.