Alleged LAX Gunman Released From Hospital; LAPD’s Beck Disputes Report Of Delay
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The 23-year-old man suspected in a deadly shooting at Los Angeles International Airport was released from Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, officials said Tuesday.
KNX 1070’s Claudia Peschiutta reports Paul Anthony Ciancia was released from the hospital Monday and is now in the custody of the United States Marshals Service.
A gunman, believed to be Ciancia, opened fire in Terminal 3 at LAX around 9:20 a.m. Nov. 1 killing Transportation Security Administration agent 39-year-old Gerardo Hernandez and injuring several others.
Authorities then shot Ciancia four times, including once in the head.
Officials said Nov. 12 his condition was upgraded from critical to fair.
The announcement came on the same day that hundreds of people attended a public memorial service honoring Hernandez, who was the first TSA agent to be killed in the line of duty.
Ciancia has been formally charged in a criminal complaint. No court date has been scheduled at this time.
Also Tuesday, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck disputed reports that there was a delay caused by his officers in getting Hernandez to medical assistance on the day of the shooting.
Asked by KCAL9’s Dave Lopez if one of his officers had incorrectly declared Hernandez to be dead, Beck said “many officers from many agencies” came to the conclusion that Hernandez’s injuries were not survivable.
Beck also noted that officers did not know if there was a second gunman still prowling the terminal at LAX.
“I have seen the tape, I have talked to witnesses, I have seen the evidence, I have spoken to the coroner through my intermediaries … I don’t see anything that was done, so far, that would intimate that it should have been done differently in that respect,” Beck said.