CalArts Investigating Food Safety After Students Hospitalized With Stomach Sickness
VALENCIA (CBSLA.com) — More than a dozen CalArts students were rushed to the hospital this week after developing similar symptoms some say were caused by rancid food in the school’s cafes.
Jack Mulholland is one of a number of students experiencing a gastrointestinal illness after dining at campus eateries at the California Institute of the Arts in Valencia.
“I bought a small little plate of pork, maybe wrapped in bacon,” he told KCAL9’S Louisa Hodge.
“I felt a little nauseous and I got up and was in the bathroom all night,” he said.
School officials have confirmed at least a dozen students were treated at the hospital for similar illnesses.
CalArts Cafe and Tatum Lounge have been temporarily closed as a preventative measure.
Tests were conducted Wednesday at all food preparation facilities on campus. Officials say it could take up to five days to yield results.
Students have meanwhile taken to social media to make claims about finding foul food, including seeing maggots in rice.
The campus food service provider, Bon Appétit, vehemently denied the allegations.
“We take food safety very seriously and can assure everyone that there have never been any maggots or rancid food served in the CalArts Cafe,” a spokesperson said.
“The L.A. County Food and Safety Department gave our operation an A on the most routine inspection and again affirmed our practices on a visit yesterday.”
School officials say they’ve sanitized all of the bathrooms in dorms where people were sick.
They have also provided alternative food services, including food trucks and delivered pizza.