Woman Hospitalized In Serious Condition After High-Rise Kitchen Fire In Westwood

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A kitchen fire on the 19th floor of a Westwood residential building Tuesday seriously injured an 83-year-old woman, who suffered smoke inhalation.

Firefighters arrived in the 800 block of Comstock Avenue at 10:33 a.m. On the 19th floor, firefighters found a kitchen fire had already been extinguished by a building maintenance employee, Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman Katherine Main said.

The woman was taken to a hospital in serious condition, while crews worked to vent smoke from the building, Main said. The woman suffered smoke inhalation.

The woman, a resident of the building, apparently turned on the oven without realizing that paper and plastic items were being stored inside it, Main said.

A damage estimate was not immediately available.

(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

KNX 1070 Newsradio
Play.It

Listen Live