LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com/AP) — A California man behind an anti-Muslim film that led to violence in parts of the Middle East is due to be released from federal custody this week.
Federal Bureau of Prisons spokesman Ed Ross said Monday that 56-year-old Nakoula Basseley Nakoula is scheduled for release on Thursday from a halfway house in Southern California where he’s been held since May.
Nakoula, whose name in court files is Mark Basseley Youssef, was sentenced in November to a year in federal prison for using false names in violation of a probation order on a bank fraud case. That case was not related to the film, the “Innocence of Muslims”.
The filmmaker told Fox News earlier this year by telephone that he was proud of the film.
(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)