29_35x90 knx_35x90

Local

Calabasas Man Convicted Of Gunning Down Popular High School Soccer Goalie

View Comments
Jason Schumann (source: Los Angeles Police Department)

Jason Schumann (source: Los Angeles Police Department)

Top Features
textalerts180 Calabasas Man Convicted Of Gunning Down Popular High School Soccer Goalie

LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) — A Calabasas man was convicted Thursday of gunning down a Woodland Hills high school soccer player outside the teen’s home last year.

KNX 1070’s Claudia Peschiutta reported that the jury deliberated less than a day before convicting Jason Schumann of first-degree murder. He could end up facing 50 years to life in prison.

Prosecutors claim the 26-year-old man shot 17-year-old Francisco Rodriguez three or four times in Jan. 2012 because he believed the teen had slept with his girlfriend.

Investigators said the El Camino Real High School player had just returned to his Winnetka home from a soccer game when Schumann’s girlfriend knocked on the door and lured him into the front yard. However, she wasn’t charged in the case.

Schumann’s attorney contends his client wasn’t the shooter and said he has evidence to back up his claim, but wasn’t allowed to present it to the jury.

“That is going to be the basis of the appeal and the motion for the trial,” the attorney said.

(TM and © Copyright 2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus