LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The U.S. Department of Education has reached a settlement with students at Occidental College over claims school officials did not adequately respond to reports of sexual assaults.
The plaintiffs’ attorney, Gloria Allred, confirmed Wednesday a financial settlement had been made but said she could not elaborate on details of the agreement due to the nature of the case.
“It is a confidential matter and we intend to honor the confidentiality and privacy of those that are involved,” she told City News Service.
School officials in May confirmed a federal investigation was launched after 50 female students and teachers alleged they had reported sexual assaults and received an unsatisfactory response from administrators in a complaint filed last spring.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the victims claimed they were discouraged from coming forward, were misled about their rights and were threatened with retaliation after seeking to report their alleged mistreatment.
At least 10 current and former students reportedly agreed to the settlement, terms of which included not speaking publicly about details of the agreement, according to the paper.
Occidental College issued the following statement to CBS2: “We cannot comment except to say that this matter has been resolved. It is a confidential matter, and we intend to honor the confidentiality and privacy of those involved,” a spokesperson said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)