LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A South Korean man who is believed to have fled the U.S. after allegedly severely burning and beating a woman has been arrested, authorities said Tuesday.
KNX 1070’s Claudia Peschiutta reports Min Kyu Kim is now in the custody of the Los Angeles Police Department.
Police obtained an arrest warrant for Kim, 33, a former resident of Los Angeles, after he was identified as the suspect in an attack on his then-girlfriend in early 2010, according to a federal criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles.
The warrant was issued after Kimm allegedly poured a pot of boiling water on the victim, who suffered severe burns to her arms and back, according to the federal complaint and to LAPD detective. The complaint further alleges that Kim beat the victim with his fists and with the pot that contained the boiling water when she attempted to escape.
Kim was charged by the Los Angeles County District Attorney with one count of domestic abuse; one count of assault with a deadly weapon; and one count of false imprisonment.
After he later posted bond and was released from jail, Kim failed to appear in court for trial on August 20, 2010, at which point a $500,000 bench warrant was issued in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
FBI spokesperson Laura Eimiller said Kim was caught when he tried to board a flight and was stopped when it was discovered his passport had been revoked.
“He was actually traveling voluntarily out of Seoul, Korea, when he was detained by authorities there, at which time he was returned to the United States and taken into custody at Los Angeles International Airport,” Eimiller said.
Following his arrest on Sept. 6, Kim was turned over to the custody of the LAPD. He is expected to be arraigned in Los Angeles Superior Court.