STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Start the new season with healthy living tips!
Wellness Consultant, Heather Wilson from East West Essentials, stopped by KCAL9 Tuesday to discuss different ways to prepare healthy food on a budget!
Here are some tips Wilson suggested:
1. Eat within a half hour after waking
2. Start off with protein
3. Make it simple but effective
1. Kids are going to snack, so make it healthy and convenient
2. For consistent energy and metabolism levels etc. eat something every 3 hours
3. Extra important for kids with extra physical activities
1. Durable, will survive “on the go” or in the “backpack”
2. Nutrient rich enough to get through the afternoon bright and alert
1. Fast and easy to prepare
2. Able to make more than one meal at a time
3. Able to prepare ahead of time
Power Shake- under $2
• Ideally, it would be great to all sit around the table and eat a full breakfast, but most families can’t do this, so start day with protein. It gets your energy and metabolism going.
• Clean, pure source of protein for the whole family
• Can mix with any fresh or frozen fruit you have with stevia, almond or rice milk, juice etc.
• Time saver
Power Cakes – $.50
• Sunflower seed or any nut butter and rice cakes topped with sliced fruit
Crunchy Kale Chips – $.50
• Add sea salt
Turkey Jerky – $.50
• Homemade with tamari
Turkey and Cheese Tortilla wraps – $1.25
• Tightly rolled with saran wrap, label them and place in fridge. Kids can grab the ones they want and throw them in lunch bag
• Can use turkey and cheese, cheese alone or nut butters and jelly
• Can use gluten free brown rice tortillas or regular tortillas
Dinner- (all made from one roasted turkey)
Turkey Chili – $1.00
Turkey Pasta with Alfredo sauce – $1.00
Turkey Soup – $1.00