STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Chef James “Jimi” Taylor stopped by KCAL9 Thursday to tell viewers about his new app, “Chef Jimi – Cooking with a Cause”.
The app provides 39 recipes each accompanied with video aimed at parents and caregivers of children on the Autism Spectrum. It covers breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, soups, juices/smoothies and more.
It also has an introductory “Core Learnings” section that covers gluten-free breads, chicken, other proteins and hidden treasures.
Cooking with a Cause is available now in the iTunes store, and at this time, is only offered for the iPad.
Here is Chef Jimi’s recipe for
Carrot Cake Muffins
3/4 cup red lentils
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups gluten-free flour mix
1/3 cup ground flax seed
1 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 cup sweet potato
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 granulated, unrefined sugar
1 cup grated carrot
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1.Bake 1 large sweet potato in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until soft. Remove the skin and set the flesh aside to cool.
2. In a medium-sized sauce pan bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil and add lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until lentils begin to break down, about 7-10 minutes. Set lentils aside to cool.
3. Grease standard-sized 12 cup muffin pan with a little coconut oil or line them with paper muffin cups.
4. In a large bowl, combine flour mix, flax meal, baking powder and baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon and salt.
5. Place cooked lentils, sweet potato, honey, coconut oil and sugar in a blender or work bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the lentil mixture to flour mixture and mix together until everything is incorporated well but still moist. Fold in carrots.
6. Divide batter among the prepared muffin pan and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan after a couple of minutes and allow to cool on a wire rack if available.For a firmer muffin with a crispier exterior, preheat the muffin pan with the oven and spoon the batter directly into hot pan. Cook for recommended time.
For increased protein content and a pureed, cooked protein of your choice such a chicken to the wet ingredients. For example, substitute 1/2 cup of chicken puree for 1/2 cup sweet potato.