STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Get fit with technology!
Cobi Jones, former U.S. National Men’s Team soccer star and LA Galaxy legend, stopped by the KCAL9 studios Tuesday to talk about an upcoming event that will show kids how to use technology to stay in shape!
The event will be held Wednesday, Aug. 7 at the West Los Angeles Best Buy, 11301 W. Pico Boulevard, from 7 to 9:30 a.m.
Jones will be joined by several other Galaxy players to show kids how to stay fit for back-to-school – from soccer drills on a full-size field in the parking lot to the latest Windows 8 fitness and nutrition apps.
• Men’s Health Workouts – Featuring exclusive workouts from top coaches, athletes and fitness experts with step by step instructions, it’s never been easier to sculpt the body you’re looking for.
• Women’s Health Workouts – Featuring a comprehensive library of workout routines from Women’s Health Magazine’s fitness experts, you have all the direction you need to sculpt a sleek and toned body.
• Daily Workouts – Daily Workouts provides great 5 to 10 minute daily workout routines for men and women that step you through some of the best exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home.
• Fitbit – The Fitbit family of products motivate you to stay active, live better, and reach your goals. This app enables you to view graphs of your activity levels, sleep and weight and gives you a clear picture of your health and fitness trends.
• Endomondo – Endomondo is a social fitness network with 12 million users worldwide, which offers a calendar overview of workouts, a summary of your total workout stats, a workout map, personal bests on different distances, and an overview of what your friends on Endomondo have been up to.
• Digital Health Scorecard – The Digital Health Scorecard application helps you understand your likelihood of developing common chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart or respiratory diseases or cancer. According to the World Health Organization, chronic conditions like these account for three out of five deaths globally.
• Bodeefit – Workouts you can do without any equipment! Get fit in the convenience of your own home, hotel, park, or at the gym! High intensity, CrossFit-style workouts that will get you in the best shape of your life.
• BallStrike – BallStrike makes working out fun. Simply stand in front of your computer’s camera and start burning calories by using your body to twist, turn, kick, hit and jump to make the balls on the screen explode. You can even share your best photos of your workout with friends through Facebook and other social channels.
• BackTrainer – Offers training programs to help you alleviate back pain all on your own. You can also find basic information to increase your understanding of back problems to help prevent back pain in the future.
• MyPlate Calorie Tracker – Helps you reach your diet, weight loss and fitness goals by tracking your daily calorie intake and exercise. Simply set a goal, track your progress with the comprehensive online food database and start losing weight.
• MLS MatchDay – The official Major League Soccer Windows 8 app brings the game to you. Follow the entire 2013 season from anywhere at any time!
• Yahoo! Sports – Live scores, play by play descriptions, latest news, and exclusive blogs from your favorite sports site. We currently cover NBA, NFL and NCAA Football.
• ESPN – The ESPN app for Windows 8, offered on desktop and tablet, provides sports fans with all the things they love about ESPN in a single place. Get up- to- the -minute scores, news, and analysis for all your favorite teams, leagues, and players. Access rich, in depth content from the leader in sports.
• MLB.TV – With a premium subscription, you can watch every Major League Baseball game live or on demand with the MLB.TV app.
• Diving Log – For all the scuba diving enthusiasts out there, the Diving Log app allows you to easily log your dives and input useful information and comments right from your PC.
• Giro d’Italia Official App – Follow all your favorite biking champions with the latest news, videos, photos, results and standings and real-time updates.
Health/Organization Apps for Families:
• OneNote – Easily track your family’s health and fitness regimen with a shared OneNote notebook where each family member can make updates simultaneously in real time.
• Memorylage – Running a family 5K? Snap photos along the way and create a beautiful custom collage of the race using Memorylage.
• Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy – Stay healthy during your pregnancy with advice from Mayo Clinic experts to help guide you through the development and birth of your child.
• Parenting Magazine – The official app for Parenting Magazine offers honest and real-world advice on parenting techniques and raising healthy children.
• HealthVault – Allows you to easily track your health and fitness goals, manage your weight, monitor your blood pressure and log details of your family’s most important health information.
• Exco Breathe – Helps patients with asthma manage their condition by offering a daily diary to track symptoms, links to local weather conditions and captures daily FEV1 and PEF readings.