RIVERSIDE (CBSLA.com) — Firefighters Thursday rescued a woman trapped in her burning apartment.
The fire broke out around 1 a.m. at a multi-story complex in the 3600 block of Adams Street, Riverside Fire Department officials said.
When fire crews arrived, smoke was pouring out from the first floor and screams for help could be heard.
Firefighters rushed to rescue the woman who was trapped in her bedroom. She suffered minor injuries and transported to a local hospital, authorities said.
The blaze was extinguished within 30 minutes.
Damage was estimated at $22,000.
Fire officials believe a discarded cigarette ignited the blaze and that the apartment’s smoke detector was not functioning, the RFD said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)