Second Recall Effort Launched Against San Diego Mayor
SAN DIEGO (CBSLA.com) — Opponents of San Diego Mayor Bob Filner launched a second recall effort against the mayor Monday, in the wake of accusations from seven women of sexual harassment.
The San Diego City Clerk’s office said petitions to recall Filner can begin circulating on August 18.
Last week, Filner said he was going into treatment but was not quitting his job.
KNX 1070’s Tom Reopelle reports that seven of the nine San Diego Councilmen want Filner out of office.
“I think seven out of nine, a very clear super-majority, sends a message that the council has lost faith in Bob Filner’s ability to lead the city,” said Councilman Mark Kersey.
“Filner should deal with his demons as a private citizen,” he said.
On Sunday, Senator Dianne Feinstein joined the growing number of officials calling on the mayor to resign.
Filner has two weeks to respond before either group can begin collecting signatures. Supporters of a recall will need to collect 102,000 valid signatures to get a recall on the ballot.
The second recall effort has raised questions over the legality of two such efforts under the city’s charter.