Arraignment Postponed For Saudi Princess Accused Of Human Trafficking
SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com) — The arraignment for a Saudi princess for human trafficking charges was postponed Monday.
Meshael Alayban, who was arrested July 9, is accused of holding a domestic servant against her will.
The alleged victim, a 30-year-old Kenyan woman, escaped from Alayban’s Irvine home with a pamphlet from the U.S. State Department on human trafficking.
The woman then reportedly flagged down a bus for help.
The 42-year-old did not appear in court Monday, angering the judge, KNX 1070′s Pete Demetriou reports.
Alayban’s attorney, Paul Meyer, told the judge an arrangement had been worked out through prosecutors to delay the arraignment to a later date.
In March 2012, authorities say the victim was contracted through an agency in Kenya to work for Alayban’s family. However, once she arrived, her passports and contract were taken from her by Alayban.
The victim was required to work excessive hours and paid only a fraction of the agreed upon salary, according to officials.
When the victim complained about the working conditions and asked for her passport back so she could leave, Alayban refused to give it to her, Sheriff’s officials said.
Prosecutors say Alayban is one of the six wives of Saudi Prince Abdulrahman bin Nasser bin Abdulaziz al Saud.
The Saudi royal family is extensive, with thousands of princes and princesses, including some who have run into trouble with the law.
Alayban is free on $5 million bail. A new arraignment date was set for Sept. 20.