STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Just graduating college and looking for a job? Joshua Fredenburg has some tips!
Fredenburg, a national speaker, author, leadership expert and and President of the Annual Circle of Change Leadership Conference, visited the KCAL9 studios Wednesday to share five specific strategies that college graduates and current students can use to obtain career success in this tough job market.
Joshua also talked about the 4th Annual Circle of Change Leadership Conference, where attendees not only learn leadership skills, but also have the opportunity to learn from and network with more than 100 executives from different companies.
Last year, an article in USA Today revealed that 1.5 million or 53.6% of bachelor degree holders under the age of 25 last year were jobless or underemployed. This was the highest share in 11 years.
#1 – Developing professional skill-sets is more important than obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree
• The first key thing that college students and college graduates must understand is that developing professional skillsets are more important that a Bachelor’s Degree because employers nowadays are looking for the skillsets of potential employees, not just a Bachelor’s Degree.
• This means that you must focus on developing the skill sets that will be needed to obtain the career of your choice.
#2 – Leadership skills matter in the 21st Century
• In the Fall of 2012, there was a study that was released by the National Association of College Employers and approximately 80% of employers stated that they are searching for leadership experience in potential candidates resume.
• Essentially, what this means is, if I am going to have the competitive advantage, I must portray leadership experience and develop the leadership skills that will enable me to become marketable.
#3 – Your social media presence matters
• Just last week, Career Success Expert and Best-Selling Author Dan Swabel released a study that stated that 1 in 10 young job seekers have lost a job opportunity because of their social media profiles.
• Ultimately, what this means is, not only can your social media networks help you get a job, but if you do not manage them correctly, it could cause you to lose out an opportunities as well. So, in this new job market, its critical to manage, leverage, and positively develop a good image on every social media outlet.
#4 – Join Professional and Service Organizations to make a difference in the community, network with others, and develop your leadership and professional skills.
• In essence, if you’re going to gain the competitive advantage in the 21st Century, not only is it important to join different professional and service organizations that you are passionate about, but it’s important that you use these platforms to network with other professionals, develop your leadership skills through various volunteering opportunities, and most importantly, make an impact in the community.
• And, the primary reason why this is important is because when you join these different professional and service organizations, you will help make our community and nation a better place for everyone and you will meet people that help you obtain career success.
#5 – Attend the 4th Annual Circle of Change Leadership Conference in November
• The reason why we encourage people to attend out annual leadership conference is because young professionals and student leaders will not only obtain valuable leadership skills that will enable them to attain career leadership success, but they will have the opportunity to network and learn from more than 100 executives that have a compassionate heart to mentor, inspire, educate. and empower the lives of future leaders and professionals of the younger generation.