Several Pets Killed In Hollywood Strip Mall Fire

HOLLYWOOD ( — Several animals were killed Monday morning in a fire at a Hollywood pet store and strip mall, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The fire started around 6 a.m. at 1188 N. Vermont Avenue, near Lexington Avenue, the Los Angeles Fire Department said.

It took 128 firefighters 55 minutes to knock down the fire, which caused the building’s roof to collapse, according to Assistant Chief Andy Fox.

The department rescued 100 animals, including puppies, mice, rabbits, frogs and fish from Kim’s Pets & Fish. However, “several birds, mice, guinea pits and fish succumbed and were later discovered in the heavily damaged and non-fire sprinklered pet store,” according to Brian Humphrey of the LAFD.

It was unclear what sparked the fire, but officials believe it started at the pet store. There were no reports of human injuries.

Damage estimates were not immediately available.

  • Pets Rescued In Hollywood Strip Mall Fire – CBS Local » Spot and Fido Amber Alert for Missing Pets

    […] Pets Rescued In Hollywood Strip Mall FireCBS Local“We had a pet store that was well involved. Firefighters went in and rescued the pets that were in there,” Fox said. “We some dogs and some birds, I don't know how many exactly, but my understanding, they all got out safely.” It was unclear what …and more […]

  • Los Angeles News headlines for Jun 10 2013 : Travel tips, hotels, restaurants, jobs and news | Travel 2 Los Angeles

    […] Fire Breaks Out In Hollywood Strip MallThe fire started around 6 a.m. at the intersection of Vermont and Lexington Avenues, the Los Angeles Fire Department said. […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Sandwich Generation

Listen Live