Rescuers, Family Members Help Save Choking Baby In Pico Rivera
PICO RIVERA (CBSLA.com) —A Fallbrook baby boy who nearly choked to death over the weekend is alive, thanks to the heroic actions of family members and rescuers.
Amber Rojas was visiting her grandmother in Pico Rivera with 4-month-old Ezra on Saturday.
To help ease the pain of Ezra’s teething, his great-aunt held up a piece of fruit to his mouth. The baby quickly took the fruit, swallowed it and began to choke.
Ezra’s great-aunt started to administer CPR, but the baby wasn’t breathing.
When paramedics arrived, they put Ezra in an ambulance. The whole trip there, officials with the Los Angeles County Fire Department, sheriff’s department and the Whittier Police Department blocked off intersections to help create a fast track to the emergency room.
Ezra was finally revived at the hospital.
“We (thought) the baby was gone,” said Lupe Ayala, the baby’s great-grandmother. “He wasn’t breathing. (Thanks to) all the police, to all the paramedics, to all the help, to the neighbors (who) helped take me to the hospital.”