LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles Clippers will not bring back head coach Vinny Del Negro for next season, team officials said Tuesday.
Del Negro had been with the team for three seasons before owner Donald Sterling decided that the franchise would not offer their skipper a contract extension.
Del Negro’s current agreement with the Clippers expires in June.
The team went 56-26 in the 2012-2013 regular season, winning their first Pacific Division title. Del Negro compiled an overall 128-102 (.557) record with the Clippers in three seasons, guiding them to the postseason in 2012 and 2013.
The Clippers finished the 2012-13 season with a franchise-high 56 wins and the fourth seed in the Western Conference Playoffs before falling 4-2 to the Memphis Grizzlies in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.
“We would like to thank Vinny for everything he did during his three years with the organization,” Clippers Vice President of Basketball Operations Gary Sacks said in a statement. “Vinny helped this team win a Pacific Division title and we greatly appreciate all that he and his staff helped us accomplish.
“This was a difficult decision, but we feel this is the best decision for our franchise moving forward.”
In five seasons as a head coach with the Chicago Bulls and Clippers, Del Negro owns a 210-184 (.533) career record.
A new coach has not been named.