LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) —A number of Southland, as well as statewide, agencies Monday confirmed they are on heightened alert in the wake of two explosions at the Boston Marathon.
At least three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy, and more than 140 injured when two bombs went off at the marathon’s finish line on Boylston Street.
Several victims were missing limbs and video from the scene showed people with blood on their heads following the blasts, which took place around 2:50 p.m. EST.
CBS News’ Bob Orr reported the two devices were likely located inside trash cans at the viewing area near the finish line. So far, no terrorist group has claimed responsibility and no one has been arrested in connection to the incident.
A Saudi national was being held in custody and questioned, but the person is not being called a suspect.
CBS News said what was believed to be a bomb at JFK Library was an unrelated, accidental fire.
Kelly Huston, assistant secretary of the California Emergency Management System, which is a danger assessment system established after the September 11 terrorist attacks, said there appears to be no credible threats against the state.