New Cancer Prevention Study Aims To Find Cure For The Deadly Disease
STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Tracie Kimbrough, a local American Cancer Society volunteer and breast cancer survivor, visited KCAL9 Thursday to talk about a new cancer prevention study!
The historic research study called Cancer Prevention Study 3 or CPS-3 is coming to Los Angeles from April 18 through May 9.
About the Cancer Prevention Study:
• By joining CPS-3, you can help researchers better understand the genetic, environmental and lifestyle factors that cause or prevent cancer, which will ultimately save more lives!
• This is the 3rd study of its kind conducted by the American Cancer Society.
• The previous studies determined links between cigarette smoking and lung cancer, and obesity and risk of cancer.
• This study, CPS-3, will help understand the environmental, lifestyle, and genetic factors which either cause or prevent cancer.
• Future generations will benefit from the study results and thousands of lives will be saved.
• You can be part of this historic opportunity if you are between 30 and 65 and have never personally been diagnosed with cancer.
• You can go to http://www.cps3la.org to make an appointment to enroll in the study or you can call 1.888.604.5888
The goal of the study:
• The goal of CPS-3 is to better understand ways to prevent cancer. Once a person has cancer, the body has been affected by the disease, treatment, and/or lifestyle changes as a result of the diagnosis. For this reason, we strongly encourage individuals without a history of cancer to enroll.
• Enrollment is free and will take place at various locations throughout the Los Angeles area between April 18, 2013, and May 9, 2013.
• To schedule your 30-minute enrollment appointment, find the location most convenient from the website. Study participation involves:
• Reading and signing an informed consent form
• Completing a survey
• Providing a waist circumference measurement
• Providing a small blood sample (similar to a doctor’s visit)
• Upon completion of these steps, we will send periodic follow-up surveys to update your information and annual newsletters with study updates and results.
All locations can be found here.