Filed underSeen On TV
STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Sick of spending hours cleaning your home?
David Hauer, a representative from Home Depot, stopped by KCAL9 Friday to show viewers new products and cleaning tips from that will help reduce the time spent spring cleaning.
According to a recent report from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Americans spend nearly 70 hours cleaning their home’s interior each year.
Here are some tips from Hauer:
Set the Stage for a Deep Clean
- De-cluttering is an important first step to spring cleaning. Storage containers are an affordable solution for organizing and putting away items that you want to keep but don’t use frequently. Consider installing a shelving unit in your closet to create added space for items you do not use on a daily basis.
- During warmer months outdoor spaces can be just as functional as indoor rooms, so don’t forget these areas when you start cleaning. Selecting trash bags that are able to handle heavy loads of garbage without breaking or spilling can save money and time.
Prep Your Home’s Exterior
- Slough off the dirt and grime left over from winter and start the season fresh by giving spaces outside the home a deep clean.
- Stains on concrete are not only unsightly, they can also weaken the surface of your driveway. Luckily, many outdoor stains can be removed by applying a multi-surface cleaner specifically designed to remove stains from your patio, driveway and sidewalks.
- Pressure washing is ideal for outdoor jobs, such as spraying down siding on your home’s exterior walls or cleaning dirt from a deck, because it uses less water than a garden hose and still gets the job done quickly. New innovations in pressure washers make them portable and able to run on gas or electricity, facilitating ease of movement when cleaning large surfaces.
- Throughout the year outdoor furniture collects dirt and grime, masking the beauty of the backyard space that serves as the perfect environment for BBQs, pool parties and festive gatherings. Give dingy patio chair cushions new life by cleaning them with a soft bristle brush or sponge and a cleaning solution made of one gallon water mixed with ¾ cup of a powerful cleaner. Add a tablespoon of laundry detergent to reinvigorate the colors in the fabric. Leave the cleaning solution on for five to 10 minutes before rinsing off.
Cleaning Hard-to-Reach Spaces
- For those hard-to-reach spaces, try a powerful all-purpose cleaner – perfect for making every inch of your refrigerator sparkle. Look for a brand with a non-toxic formula to clean deep without having to worry about contamination.
- Additionally, you can custom-dilute for almost any type of surface cleaning, such as floors and walls, pots and pans or large appliances.
- Cleaning the dryer vent doesn’t need to be limited to the lint filter screen. The small particles that get through will eventually build up inside the dryer and block the vent ducting that runs to the outside of your house. Use a vacuum with a hose attachment to clean out all remaining lint.
- After vacuuming away built-up dirt from the dryer, you can re-use your Simple Green Cleaner to clean the entire appliance.
Fighting Indoor Allergies
- Spring should be enjoyed, not marked by allergies. Basic upkeep around the house with easy-to-use products can help you make the most of the season.
- For everyday clean-up, try using a multi-surface cleaning solution with a cloth or paper towels. Just a dab of a safe and powerful formula is all you need to clean and sanitize kitchens, bathrooms and other frequently used areas of the home.
- And for perennial allergy sufferers, an indoor HVAC System can help. The HVAC has a filtration system built into it that, if maintained regularly, can help protect against pesky allergens. Below are two simple ways to maintain your HVAC system and help improve the air quality in your home all season long:
- Change your air filter regularly: Changing the air filter will prevent build-up of allergy-causing particles that can enter the home. Make sure to check your specific manufacturer’s recommendations for the best possible results.
- Assess your air quality needs: Are there pets in the home or multiple allergy sufferers? Take a good look at your surroundings so that you can choose the air filter that is perfect for your home.
Starting the spring season off with a deep clean inside and out can help reduce time spent on this task throughout the year.
Following a deep clean, maintenance cleaning can be completed more quickly, giving you more time to enjoy the spring with friends and family gardening, grilling or simply relaxing outdoors.
For more information, visit Home Depot.