NORTHRIDGE (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles Police Department Tuesday continues to search for the primary suspect in last week’s kidnapping of a 10-year-old Northridge girl.
Detectives announced Saturday that 30-year-old Tobias Dustin Summers was the primary suspect wanted in connection with the kidnapping.
Officials now believe Summers, who was released from prison last July as part of a realignment program that eased overcrowding, may have fled to the San Diego area.
San Diego police are passing out fliers with Summers’ picture and cautioning residents he is considered to be armed and dangerous, KNX 1070’s Tom Reopelle reports.
“This is a dangerous person, somebody who needs to be taken off the street,” San Diego Police Lt. Kevin Mayer said.
The young girl was taken from her family’s home in the early hours of March 27 and held captive for 12 hours before being dropped off at a hospital. She was found wandering around a Woodland Hills Starbucks parking lot with cuts and bruises on her face.
The victim told police she was held by two men.
The LAPD announced a second suspect, 29-year-old Daniel Martinez, was arrested Sunday in the 18200 block of Rayen Street in Northridge.
“That information on Mr. Martinez was gathered by Robbery-Homicide Division over the weekend, so that they were able to capture him, make an arrest, take him into custody and book him,” LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith said.
Martinez has a record dating back to 2004 with charges of burglary, petty theft, grand theft, resisting arrest, unlawful entry, making threats and causing bodily injury. He is being held on $1 million bail.
Summers also has an extensive criminal record with charges that includes robbery, kidnapping, explosives and petty theft.
Detectives believe the outstanding suspect may have shaved his head in an attempt to change his appearance.
Anyone with information about Summers is asked to call the Robbery Homicide Tipline at (213)486-6890. Those who may spot the suspect should immediately call 911.