TEMECULA (CBSLA.com) — A young California entrepreneur died after getting his wisdom teeth pulled out at an oral surgeon’s office in Temecula.
Marek Lapinski, 24, the vice president and part-owner of a Murrieta-based tactical equipment facility, had the routine dental procedure done on March 21.
Lapinski’s family said he began to cough during the surgery and went into cardiac arrest.
He was immediately taken to the hospital, where he died a few days later.
Natalie Lapinski, the victim’s sister, told reporters her brother was given at least six different sedatives, including propofol, by Dr. Steven Paul.
Natalie also said Lapinski’s oxygen levels indicated he may have gone 10 minutes without air.
In addition, the ambulance report said a piece of gauze was found in the young man’s airway.
“I was told by the hospital that they weren’t sure if this was all caused by him choking on a piece of gauze,” said the victim’s mother, April Lapinski.
April continued, “He had no health issues that we were aware of. This was very strange and unexpected. It was such a routine thing that we thought nothing of it.”
Investigators are waiting for the autopsy results.
Attorney Clark Hudson, who represents Paul, released a statement on the surgeon’s behalf which said, in part, “Mr. Lapinski’s complications occurred despite the fact there were no apparent contraindications for his oral surgery, routine anesthetic medications were being used for the procedure, and immediate measures were undertaken to revive the patient as soon as the patient began to decompensate.”