LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Now that tests have proven Christopher Dorner perished in the Big Bear gunfight Tuesday, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa says he plans on distributing the $1-million reward for information leading to the murder suspect’s capture.
The mayor and LAPD Chief Charlie Beck issued the following statement Thursday:
“Now that the search for Christopher Dorner appears to have concluded, we are addressing the issue of the $1 million reward. More than 20 jurisdictions and entities are involved in this reward, so all of them will be coming together to collectively determine whether any individual or individuals qualify for it. Our personal hope is that the reward will be distributed, but we must follow the rules and respect the procedures of each entity.”
The resort town of Big Bear had been the focus of a manhunt for Dorner since Feb. 7, when authorities discovered the former Navy reservist’s burned-out Nissan Titan near Big Bear Lake. Weapons, survival gear and a gas mask were among the charred items recovered from the vehicle.
There was no sign of Dorner until the morning of Feb. 12, when he reportedly broke into a condo within sight of a Sheriff’s outpost and took the owners hostage.
A short time later, one of the victims was able to escape and contact police after Dorner stole their vehicle.
Dorner was then spotted by Fish and Wildlife officers and gunfire was exchanged before he fled into the forest and barricaded himself in a cabin, authorities said.
The suspect then engaged in a raging gun battle with officials. The siege continued for hours until tear gas was fired into the home. A single gunshot was later heard resonating from inside the residence.
The home quickly became engulfed, although authorities are still not sure how the fire started.