LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The Los Angeles Police Department remained on modified tactical alert Friday evening, hours after a false sighting of triple-murder suspect Christopher Dorner at the Twin Towers Jail.
Kristine Lazar, reporting for CBS2 and KCAL9, says modified tactical alert allows for some officers to go home at the conclusion of their shifts.
Full tactical alert was initially reinstated about 10:30 a.m. following an alleged sighting of Dorner. The Dorner sighting was later determined to be unfounded.
The alert — initially instituted Thursday — was previously lifted early Friday after authorities thought they had sufficient resources in place.
The former Los Angeles cop is accused of fatally shooting a Riverside police officer and injured two others on Thursday.
The 33-year-old suspect is also wanted in connection with the murder of a former LAPD captain’s daughter and her fiancé in Irvine in what authorities are calling a revenge killing.
The tactical alert was also prompted by a 20-page manifesto Dorner posted on Facebook. In it, he mentioned at least 40 people, including officers, he wanted to target as part of his revenge for his 2008 firing from the LAPD.
During an alert, officers can be held over on their shifts and work overtime for as long as they are needed. Additional officers in riot gear were also placed outside police headquarters in downtown.
“The safety of my employees, the safety of those who come on the job to protect the lives of strangers is of utmost importance to me and I will expend whatever resources necessary,” Chief Charlie Beck said Thursday at a news conference.
Routine calls, such as illegally parked cars and barking dogs, are not handled during the event.