STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Bring a bit of New Orleans to your home this Sunday to celebrate the Super Bowl.
Chef Ben Ledesma of the Cheesecake Factory stopped by KCAL9 Thursday to show viewers how to cook shrimp creole with a New Orleans-style flare. Shrimp creole is an easy-to-make recipe to serve at Super Bowl parties and is also part of the restaurant’s SkinnyLicious menu.
The recipe uses shrimp simmered in a spicy Tasso-tomato sauce sautéed with peppers, onions and garlic that really showcases the flavors and cooking style of Louisiana Creole cuisine . . . all for under 590 calories!
The SkinnyLicious menu has more than 50 mouthwatering items.
RECIPE: Shrimp Creole
• 1 Tbl. Vegetable Oil
• 4 oz. Red and Yellow Peppers, diced 1/2″
• 2 oz. Yellow Onions, diced 1/4″
• 1 oz. Celery, minced
• 1/2 oz. Green Bell Peppers, 1/4″chopped
• 2 tsps. Garlic, minced
• 10 oz. Shrimp (medium), deveined, tail-off
• 1 tsp. Cajun Spice Blend*
• 2 tsps. Rice Flour
• 4 oz. Roma Tomatoes, peeled, seeded, diced 1/2″
• 8 oz. Spicy Broth*
• 4 oz. Tasso Sauce* (optional)
• 1 oz. Green Onions, chopped 1/4″
• 8 oz. Steamed White Rice
• 2 tsps. Parsley, fresh, chopped
Serving Size: 2 people
* Recipes for these ingredients are readily available in cookbooks, magazines and on the internet. Spicy broth may be prepared with either chicken or shrimp stock. Tasso broth is best without any added cream in the recipe selected.
• Place the shrimp into a small mixing bowl. Sprinkle the blackening spice and rice flour over the shrimp, tossing together until the shrimp are evenly coated with the spicy flour. Cover the bowl and set aside under refrigeration until needed.
• Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick sauté pan set over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables into the pan and cook until the vegetables are tender and well caramelized.
• Add the garlic to the pan, stirring quickly to avoid burning. Add the shrimp and tomatoes into the pan. Stir the ingredients together until evenly combined.
• Ladle the spicy broth and tasso sauce into the pan, gently stirring and tossing to incorporate. Continue to cook for approximately 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly and all of the ingredients are heated through. Toss together once or twice while cooking so that all of the ingredients cook evenly.
• Add the green onions into the pan, stirring gently together until evenly combined. Continue to cook the ingredients for another 5-10 seconds or until the shrimp are done.
• Pour the shrimp creole into the serving bowls. Place the white rice into the center area of the bowl on top of the shrimp creole.
• Garnish each bowl of shrimp creole with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
• Bon Appétit!