59-Year-Old Latest Victim Of String Of Home Invasion Robberies In San Bernardino
SAN BERNARDINO (CBSLA.com) — A 59-year-old woman is the latest victim of a string of home invasion robberies in San Bernardino this past week.
Mary Shans told KCAL9’s Jeff Nguyen that two men broke into her home on Flores Street before 7 a.m. Friday.
The older woman, who just lost her husband last month, said she was asleep when she heard her dog bark.
When Shans opened her eyes, she couldn’t believe what was in front of her.
“One (man) was standing by my stomach and the other was standing by my head,” she said.
Shans said the men used her own clothes to cover their hands and faces.
The suspects then tried to smother her with a blanket until they heard her friend scream from another room.
“It startled them. They thought I was by myself,” said Shans.
The victim said the thieves took off with her purse, jewelry box and her sense of safety.
“I went from living with my family to being married for 36 years. I’ve been with my husband. And (now) I’m scared,” she said.
Shans is not the only one on edge in the area.
Last Friday, someone tried to burglarize a home in the 1900 block of West Ash Street, according to the San Bernardino County Sun.
A day later, an 84-year-old woman and her husband were beaten and robbed by a suspect at their house.
A 77-year-old woman was robbed at gunpoint at her residence on Jan. 20.
Police believe one person may be behind some of the break-ins.
The incidents come after 76-year-old Mary Elizabeth Blaskey was found dead last November in her ransacked home in the 3000 block of Fremontia Drive.