Jennifer Adams Shares Tips For De-Cluttering Your Home, Finding Valuable Items
STUDIO CITY (KCAL9) — Looking for a way to make a few extra bucks?
Jennifer Adams stopped by KCAL9 Thursday to show viewers how to de-clutter their homes and find valuable household items!
Which items have the most value?
- Jewelry and antiques can have a large dollar value attached to it so look for these items as a starting point
- Clothing and accessories create a lot of clutter, so clear them out and make sure they’re clean and organized for resale
- Don’t forget about household items including tools, extra appliances, children’s outdoor toys, and furniture. These items can sell for high price tags and go a long way towards clearing your house of unwanted clutter
Every room of your home contains hidden money. Take inventory:
- Go through room by room and collect items that you no longer love, no longer serve a purpose, or you have duplicates of
- Average home has $90 dollars in change and a stack of un-cashed checks laying around so gather these items
How to sell the items to get the most money:
- Decorative accessories, children’s toys are easy sales at garage sales and will get things off your hands and money in your pocket quickly
- Jewelry can be taken to a resale or consignment shop. Silver and gold both have high dollar resale value
- Ebay and Craigslists are great ways to sell your larger items locally and have them picked up and taken off your hands
- For items that you can’t sell, donate to charity so that you are able to claim a tax deduction on them. Make sure to properly document any donations
What to look for in each item, as well as where to go to find out the value:
- Signatures on items. These can often be faded or hard to read
- Costume jewelry from ages ago can often contain real gold. Take to a jewelry store, they can weigh and test
- Paintings: Open up the backs, look for signatures, and often times labels of the origin or certificates
Websites to reference when trying to sell something:
- Books: abaa.org
- Computers: PCSellingCenter.ebay.com
- Vintage toys: ToyCollectorNetwork.com
- Pottery: JustArtPottery.com
- Jewelry: JewelryWonder.com
For more information, visit Jennifer Adams Home.