HOLLYWOOD (CBSLA.com) — Actor Robert Wagner has declined to be interviewed by detectives investigating the 1981 drowning of his then-wife, Natalie Wood.
“Robert Wagner is the last person who saw Natalie Wood alive and he’s not talking to us,” said Lt. John Corina.
CBS2’s Bobby Kaple Friday spoke with Corina who calls Wagner the “missing puzzle piece” in the case.
“We’ve gone to his attorney. We’ve gone out to where he lives. To his publicist. We even sent him certified mail – a letter. But we’ve been rebuffed. He says he doesn’t want to talk to us,” Corina said.
Since reopening the case more than 13 months ago, KNX 1070’s Margaret Carrero reports that detectives have interviewed more than 100 witnesses, including Christopher Walken.
Wood died more than 30 years ago after a night of partying on yacht off Catalina Island with Walken and Wagner.
Within the last year, her death was changed from “drowning” to “drowning and other undetermined factors” by the Coroner’s office.
Wagner’s attorney declined CBS2’s request for an interview but did release a statement this week, saying in part, that Wagner had fully cooperated with investigators over the years and has no new information to add to this current investigation.
RELATED STORY: Coroner Releases New Report On Natalie Wood’s Death