Judge Denies Motion To Dismiss Charges Against Fullerton Officers
SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com) — An Orange County Superior Court judge Friday denied a motion to dismiss charges against two former Fullerton police officers charged in the beating death of transient Kelly Thomas.
KNX 1070′s Jon Baird reports the judge had already issued a tentative ruling denying the motion to toss out charges against Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli, but agreed to hear from both sides of this case this morning.
Thomas, who suffers from schizophrenia, was taken off life support following a July 5, 2011, confrontation with Fullerton police officers.
Prosecutors have argued that Ramos, 38, and Cicinelli, 40, had no right to use such extreme force against Thomas.
Ramos, who is facing second-degree murder charges, and Cicinelli, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter and excessive force, both pleaded not guilty in July.
Ron Thomas, the father of the victim, told reporters he was pleased with the judge’s decision.
“He talked about you don’t need a medical degree to understand that suffocating somebody will kill them, so he let ‘em have it,” Thomas said.
A trial date was set for June 28, but it may be rescheduled.
Former Fullerton officer Joseph Wolfe is also facing charges in the case, but no trial date for him has been set.