EXPOSITION PARK (CBSLA.com) — Tough new safety measures went into effect at the University of Southern California on Monday in response to last year’s high-profile shootings on and near the South Los Angeles campus.
KCAL9’s Brittney Hopper reported that every night, from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m., pedestrian gates will block non-USC students or employees from entering the school.
In addition, guards will check students and staff for their identification cards at campus entrances.
People who live in residential housing must scan their fingers to gain access into their buildings, according to Hopper.
Several students said they were happy about the extra security, which includes more police patrols.
Brian Levian said, “I’m really glad it’s happening because we’ve had a lot of tragic accidents here, and I feel the safety is really needed here.”
“I don’t really see why you would be on campus after 9 p.m. unless you’re a student,” Nassim Mirreghabie said.
The new safeguards come after four people were shot at a Halloween party last October outside the Tutor Campus Center.
In April 2012, two international graduate students were killed in a botched robbery blocks from the university.
The suspects in both incidents were not students.