Keep The Man In Your Life Healthy With Tips From ‘The Rogue Nutritionist’
Links & NumbersInformation & Resources On Dangers Of Marijuana Use Covered California Enrollment Methods Hire LA Youth Hospital Ratings Stradivarius Fest Tell Us Who's Hiring!
STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Jonny Bowden, better known as “The Rogue Nutritionist”, and author of the recently released book The Great Cholesterol Myth, stopped by the KCAL9 studios Wednesday to discuss different ways to keep your man healthy!
• Feed them antioxidants: Foods like tomatoes and wine can significantly lower one’s blood pressure, and hypertension is the leading cause of heart disease
• You should be drinking one glass of wine a day. And, if you don’t care for alcohol, purple grape juice is a good alternative
• You can also change your cooking oil, so that it contains tocotrienol, which is protective against stroke damage. I like using Malaysian Palm Fruit Oil. Malaysian Palm Fruit Oil is natures’ richest source of Vitamin E that supports brain health and prevents stroke damage and Retains nutritional value when cooking at cooking with high heat.
• Other healthy foods high in antioxidants include avocados and chocolate.
• To keep your man’s immune system from shutting down these are my top immune boosters for priming our immune system at the first signs of cold and flu: vitamin C, aged garlic extract, and probiotics. Probiotics support your body’s naturally occurring beneficial bacteria, which play a role in immune health.
• Another way to help boost your immune system: Cleanse your nasal passages: Neti pots have become very popular right now – and with good reason. Most people know that they are a safe and natural way to help your body’s natural mechanism for clearing your sinuses of bacteria and allergens. For cold, flu and allergies nasal rinsing is a good thing to add to his daily routine.
• Stress weakens your immune system.
You can probably recall a time you felt a cold (or, ugh, a cold sore) coming on when you were super-stressed. Stress does more than make you miserable; it also makes you more vulnerable to colds, flu, and whatever else is going around the office or your kids’ school.
If you feel frazzled and stress out, try L-theanine, a calming amino acid in green tea that you can also buy as a supplement. Clinical research shows that 50mg to 200 mg of L-theanine can naturally stimulate alpha-wave activity in your brain, promoting relaxation and alertness.
• We all know that we need to exercise, but I hear men saying that I can’t because I have sore joints and if I exercise I’m in pain. Some men thinking popping a pill will help but what they don’t know is that these Anti-Inflammatories also known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, (NSAIDS) can cause more problems.
• These medications, which include Advil, Motrin and Aleve, are used to reduce pain and inflammation. They are commonly used by people with joint pain and arthritis and while they are effective they are dangerous.
• NSAIDS can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, ulcers, bleeding in the stomach, and kidney and liver failure. Commonly used natural remedies for joint pain, like glucosamine and chondroitin are helpful but they can take months to work.
For more information and men’s health tips, visit Bowden online.