PALMDALE (CBSLA.com)— Sheriff’s investigators reported a 10-year-old student posted bogus threats on Facebook against a group of children at a Palmdale elementary school.
An 11-year-old who attends Joshua Hills Elementary School reported the threats to the authorities on Monday while watching coverage of the Conn. shootings with his parents, which forced detectives to place all area schools on a “modified lockdown” until Friday.
“The actual direct threat against the lives of the children at the school was made just a few days before the horrible tragedy in Newtown, Conn.,” said Capt. Mike Parker of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
An investigation revealed, however, that the suspect didn’t have the means to carry out the threat, which was directed at a sixth grade class at Joshua Hills.
The 10-year-old, who erased everything on his Facebook page, denied making any threats and told detectives that someone broke into his room.
Although the boy wasn’t taken into custody, detectives urged his parents to seek counseling for their son.
“If this person had been older who did this, they would have been arrested,” said Parker.
(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)