Regional VP For United Healthcare In SoCal Discusses Important Medicare Information
STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Regional Vice President for United Healthcare Medicare & Retirement in Southern California, Michael McCarthy, stopped by KCAL9 Sunday to make Medicare beneficiaries aware of the enrollment deadline!
Key Dates for Medicare Open Enrollment Period
• Enrollment dates: Oct. 15 – Dec. 7
• Options: Enroll in, dis-enroll from or make changes to your current coverage
Survey: Most 60+ adults find Medicare confusing
• Most don’t understand the ABCs of Medicare
• Nearly half have never “shopped” for Medicare coverage
• More than half of baby boomers describe their ability to evaluate plans as “poor”
**survey conducted by: UnitedHealthcare & National Council on Aging
How to Compare Medicare Advantage Plans
• Is your doctor or hospital in the plan’s network?
• Are preventive screenings covered?
• What additional benefits are included?
• If prescription drugs are included, are your medications covered? What are the co-pays?
Pay Attention to Cost
• Understand the monthly premium and annual out-of-pocket maximum for the plan, if there is one
• Consider your out-of-pocket costs: premium, deductible, co-pays and coinsurance
• Check the drug list for the cost of prescriptions
Cost Savings in Medicare Part D
• Check if the plan has a preferred pharmacy network
• Take advantage of new discounts in the “donut hole” as a result of health reform
• In 2013, beneficiaries pay 47.5 percent for brand-name drugs and 79 percent for generic drugs while in the coverage gap
• Discounts gradually increase each year until the coverage gap is closed in 2020
Resources to Help with Enrollment Decisions
• Community support: family, friends, senior organizations, doctors and pharmacists
• www.Medicare.gov or 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
• MedicareMadeClear.com or UHCMedicarePlans.com