Filed underSeen On TV
STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Cold and flu season is around the corner, but why not fight it the homeopathic way?
Holistic and homeopathic physician, Dr. Lauren Feder, visited the KCAL9 studios Wednesday to show viewers how to navigate the over-the-counter aisles during the season.
Sometimes symptoms overlap and can be difficult to distinguish-
• Flu: high fever, body aches, weakness, runny nose, cough (season usually from October to March)
• Common cold: centered around the nose with runny nose, low grade fever, congestion, sneezing
• Allergies: seasonal nasal and sinus allergies can cause facial pressure, congestion, runny nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, fever is rare. Can be seasonal.
What steps can be taken to fight these common illnesses?
• Common sense – you have it, use it.
• Frequent hand washing
• Avoid swimming during autumn and winter, especially for susceptible children and adults.
• Get plenty of rest
• Avoid becoming chilled, wear an extra thin layer of clothing
• If your child is ill, keep him or her at home
• Minimize junk food (refined sugar compromises the immune system)
What are suggested symptom relievers this cold/flu season?
• Commonly used medications include decongestants, antihistamines, cough suppressants, fever reducers (Sudafed, Afrin, Tylenol, Robitussin,Vick’s Vapor Rub).
• Choose OTC medication that covers the symptoms (i.e. decongestant for nasal congestion). Avoid taking more than you need. All medications have side effects, i.e. nasal decongestants can cause anxiety and antihistamines, drowsiness.
• My patients prefer more natural approach first: neti pot, sliced onion, rest, healthy liquids, vitamin C.
• Natural OTC remedies include: Cold-EEZE (first sign of common cold) : Zinc lozenges known to reduce the duration of symptoms. Oscillococcinum (first sign of flu symptoms). Honey based products such as Maty’s products.
What remedies do you suggest that help boost your immune system?
Vitamin C, Echinacea/Goldenseal, Grandma’s Chicken Soup.
Symptoms of the common cold tend to worsen at night, what steps are suggested to fight the symptoms for a good night’s sleep?
Sliced onion by the bed, clears the sinuses.
For more tips, visit Dr. Feder online.