STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Kurt Ehrlich, who served as chef to presidents Reagan, Ford and Nixon, visited KCAL9 Thursday to cook us a presidential meal. He also discussed the charity dinner he is hosting at his Burbank restaurant, The Hollywood Pasta Company, for the upcoming election.
Event Information: The Bipartisan Presidential Dinner includes a five-course meal that will feature recipe favorites of former presidents, as well as President Obama. Guests will choose the presidential meal they would like in exchange for a $100 ticket.
Tickets and reservations are available for 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 25, and Friday, Oct. 26, by calling the Hollywood Pasta Company at (818)566-7000. A percentage of the proceeds will go to Safety Harbor Kids and local charities.
“I want my guests to know what a White House Dinner feels like,” Ehrlich says. “This is two nights for our country to come together and enjoy our election process. Food is always a great way to unite people!”
Celebrities, and possibly someone from the Reagan family, will be in attendance.
Here are some of the favorite recipes from President Obama and President Reagan:
Grilled Chicken Tacos (serves 4)
• 1 lb Skinless boneless Chicken Breast
• 12 cloves Garlic
• 6 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1 pinch ground cloves
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• Salt to taste
• 2 Bunches green onions
• olive oil
• 6 Lime Wedges
• 1 cup tomatillo salsa
• 12 warm corn tortillas
• In a small skillet over medium heat, cook the garlic until soft,about 10-15 min. When cool, peel and place
• In a food processor along with oil, vinegar, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, oregano and 3/4 tsp salt.
• Process until smooth.
• Lay the chicken in a non-aluminum baking dish. Cover with half of the marinade and refrigerate for at least
• 30 min.
• Heat a gas grill to medium-high or light a charcoal fire.
• Brush onions with oil and cook until soft.
• Brush chicken with oil and cook both sides for 6-8 min.
• Remove & cut into thin strips.
• Fill tortillas with chicken & onions. Garnish with lime wedges and salsa.
Veal Piccata (serves 2)
• 2 4oz pc. of thin sliced Veal
• Salt & Black Pepper to taste
• 5 Table spoons all purpose Flour
• 8 Tablespoons unsalted Butter
• 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
• 1/2 Cup fresh lemon Juice
• 1/4 cup capers ( rinsed )
• 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
• 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
• 1/2 cup Chardonnay Wine
• Season Veal with salt & pepper.
• Dredge Veal in flour.
• In a large skillet over medium heat melt 2 tlbs. butter and 3 tlbs. olive oil.
• When butter and oil start to sizzle, add Veal and cook for 3 Min.
• When Veal is browned, cook the other side for 3 min.
• Remove Veal and transfer to plate.
• Into a pan melt 2 more tbls of butter and 2 tbls of olive oil.
• Add all other Ingredients, bring to a boil, and whisk vigorously.
• Return Veal to the pan, and let simmer for about 3 Minutes.
• Place Veal onto plate, pour sauce over Veal, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.