Sex Offenders Sue Simi Valley Over New Halloween Law
SIMI VALLEY (CBSLA.com) — An attorney representing five registered sex offenders, three of their wives and two of their children have sued the city of Simi Valley over a new law banning Halloween displays at the homes of people convicted of sex crimes.
“To us it’s similar to branding,” attorney Janice Bellucci told the Los Angeles Times. “We can think of what happened in Nazi Germany, where Jews had to appear in public wearing yellow stars.
The lawsuit, which was filed Friday in U.S. District Court, is asking a federal judge for an injunction to keep the city from enforcing the law.
The law, which was passed last month, bans Halloween displays on Oct. 31 on the front yards of people convicted of sex crimes. It also requires offenders listed on the Megan’s Law website to display a sign on their front door that says: “No candy or treats at this residence.”
There are a total of 119 registered sex offenders living in Simi Valley. The majority has been convicted of misdemeanors and is not listed on the Megan’s Law website, according to the Times, but there are 67 offenders who have been found guilty of more serious crimes and are publicly listed on the site.
Police say they have no records of any crimes involving children occurring in Simi Valley during Halloween trick-or-treating.